First posted on November 15, 2010.
Simple Mashed Potatoes
For each serving:
- 1 large or 2 small russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature (or use it cold if you forgot; it’ll just take longer to mash)
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half or milk (may also use stock or cream)
- Peel and halve small potatoes, or quarter large ones.
- Boil in salted (and, if you’re my mom, liberally peppered) water until soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain and return to the pot.
- Using a potato masher, mash with remaining ingredients.
May be kept warm in the oven while you take care of other last-minute food items.